|The role of No. 2 Squadron was that of flying training, ground attack
in close support operations and air defence against relatively
2 Squadron was formed in 1951 to operate the second batch of Spitfires
delivered to Southern Rhodesia. Disbanded in 1954
when Spitfires were withdrawn from service, it was reformed in 1956 with
Vampires, serving as a training unit, only to be disbanded again in June 1957.
The squadron reformed in September 1958 at Thornhill Air Base, Gwelo.
The squadron provided training for new recruits using Vampire FB 9
aircraft. It was yet again disbanded in 1958/9. The squadron reformed in March 1960 to provide instructor training on
the Provost T52 and Vampire T11. It became an advanced flying training
squadron and operational conversion unit in 1963 when additional Vampire
aircraft were transferred from No. 1 Squadron.
The units pilots were also tasked with internal security duties (using
the Provost) and ground attack (using the Vampires).
In 1964 the training role was given to No. 4 Squadron and No.
2 Squadron then took on the role of "Operational Conversion Training and
Day Fighter/Ground Attack". The squadron's first action in this
role was in Operation Cauldron in 1968, and proved to be the first of
No. 2 Squadron carried out reconnaissance flights over the western,
northern and eastern borders of Rhodesia using Vampire and Provost
aircraft shared with No. 6 Squadron in 1969. The Squadron also took over the
COIN commitment and the defence and ground attack
role from No. 4 Squadron.
In November 1971 No. 2 Squadron passed its Provost
aircraft to No. 4 Squadron which then took over COIN ops.
July 1982 saw the squadron re-equipped with British Aerospace Hawks.